Leo’s corporate career includes Board level appointments with Levi Strauss, Thorn EMI and then with the Kingfisher Group, in various top executive roles, including MD of Woolworths, when it achieved a record profit. As CEO of BrightHouse, he re-energised and refocused the business, developing it into a national chain.
As an independent practitioner, he has advised or led a number of SMEs and larger businesses, and specialised in business turnaround.
- Developed a series of initiatives to radically revitalise the Brighthouse chain and to enhance perception of the brand.
- Achieved a step change in revenue, EBIT, and in enterprise value, to effect sale of Brighthouse LTD in July 2007 to private equity.
- In 12/02 appointed as NED into Courts plc, which had crippling debt commitment; inadequate management skills, and incomplete financial controls. Led vigorous transformation of overseas businesses, for robust profitable growth;
- Instigated loss containment and turnaround plan for hemorrhaging UK business & engaged Close Brothers to generate re-financing options for Courts PLC Group.
- As interim CEO from 05/03 to 12/03 at Ponden Mills, developed exit strategy, led turnaround, re-shaped merchandise proposition and store formats, radically reduced cost base, appointed top team:
- Ponden Mills sold in December 04 to Hemway Group at a significant multiple of pre-turnaround valuation.
- As Non Exec Director 12/01 – 02/07 at 360 Recruitment Consultancy, led formulation and supported implementation of five year plan. Acted as ongoing advisor.
- Semmo LTD, Engineering manufacture and services. Company Advisor 05/02 – 02/06. Assisted this SME by shaping clearly segmented offer and client portfolio.